From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vernonia amygdalina extracts may help suppress, delay, or kill cancerous cell in many ways, such as:
- Induction of apoptosis as determined in cell culture and animal studies.
- Enhanced Chemotherapy Sensitivity - V. amygdalina extracts may render cancerous cells to be more sensitive to chemotherapy.
- Inhibition of the growth or growth signals of cancerous cells.
- Suppression of metastasis of cancerous cells in the body by the inhibition of NFҡB is an anti-apoptotic transcription factors as demonstrated in animal studies.
- Reduction of estrogen level in the body by the suppression of Aromatase activity. The Involvement of blood estrogen level in the etiology of estrogen receptor (ER) positive breast cancer has been widely reported. Additional source of estrogen production in humans besides the ovary and adrenal gland is the conversion of testosterone to estrogen in a reaction catalyzed by Aromatase. Many studies have shown positive correlations between blood estrogen levels and breast cancer risks. Therefore, compounds that inhibit Aromatase activity are used for the treatment of breast cancer.
- Antioxidants - V. amygdalina may provide anti-oxidant benefits.
- Enhancement of the immune system - Many studies have shown that V. amygdalina extracts may strengthen the immune system through many cytokines (including NFҡB, pro inflammatory molecule) regulation.
V. amygdalina, traditionally used by small farmers in Western Africa, does possess anthelminthic anti-parasitic properties.
DIPETIK DARI WIKIPEDIA